PM Update on Siwa

Dear visitor, welcome to the Grand Fantasia Forum.

To use all the features of this page, please create an account or login.

• Dear community

Without further delay and straightforwardly I must announce what you have already been expecting:

Within the next months we will merge Siwa with Sanctum. More precise information will follow once we can set dates.

This was just recently discussed with X-Legend during our meetings in their headquarters. As we are still in the initial phase of this task, I can’t provide any further details yet, especially not concrete dates. We must align resources, consider patches and other projects, too.

Obviously, the launch of Siwa can’t be called a success story and we are not happy with the development. We are also aware that not everybody supports the idea of merging these two servers. Considering how many things are already shared between the two servers, this is the most reasonable choice though. On top, Sanctum and Siwa can both benefit from increased activity and shared experience.

To make the last weeks/months more enjoyable we will increase the amount of events in Siwa. We’ve listened to your request and spawned a few monsters in the big cities of Saphael.

Instead of me writing a long speech, I invite you to ask your questions and share your concerns below, so we can speak about what you really want to know.

I also ask you to keep the thread polite and engaging for everybody involved.

Cheers

Mechium

• Greetings~

Concerning players with the same name on the two servers, will it be like the past merges? (If so, could we get a refresher to how it goes again).

• I am concerned about some aspects of this merge. Siwa was advertised as an international server, thus, players from PT, ES, and FR servers all were playing too.

In fact, the majority of Siwa players were PT players (I would say at least 80% of the population were PT). This is where my concern comes from. Why was merging with Sanctum, which is an EN server, the primary choice? I am concerned how PT players (and other nationalities) are going to blend in with the "EN" community, seeing that they were the "dominant" nationality in Siwa. I even expected if a merge would ever happen, it would have been between Siwa and PT. So how are we, as an EN community, going to deal with the influx of foreigners joining Sanctum? I am concerned that Sanctum is going to end up like a 2nd PT server, where the EN community becomes the inferior one because of the difference in population.

• If I had to guess i would say that its easier to merge siwa and sanctum cuz they are in one launcher

Yes you are right that most of the siwa players were from PT and not EN but its unlikely that they are going to "dominate" sanctum. There are no reasons for em to come to sanctum since they have their own server. Even if - its not gonna be many ppl so we dont have to worry about a "2nd PT server"

• I am concerned about some aspects of this merge. Siwa was advertised as an international server, thus, players from PT, ES, and FR servers all were playing too.

https://grandfantasia-siwa.aer…ra-of-grand-fantasia-siwa

Sure, but was also stated that English was a requirement to be able to play, and would be the standard language of the server:

As for the language: English only! And there's a very good reason for that!

We would like to extend this invitation to ALL of our international community: join the new server, compete and share the fun! Siwa will only be accessible in the game's English client, so anyone wishing to join the server will have to download it to play.

The English language is a must to be able to reach as many players as possible and to allow all our communities to join in and have amazing competitions among each other!

• If I had to guess i would say that its easier to merge siwa and sanctum cuz they are in one launcher

Yes you are right that most of the siwa players were from PT and not EN but its unlikely that they are going to "dominate" sanctum. There are no reasons for em to come to sanctum since they have their own server. Even if - its not gonna be many ppl so we dont have to worry about a "2nd PT server"

Saying there's no reasons for them to come to Sanctum is far-fetched. If that was the case, you wouldn't have seen a huge population of PT players migrating to Siwa when it was released. They are not as fond of their native server as you may think.

Sanctum is being merged with an international server, indirectly making it one. Moreover, the amount of PT players Siwa already has is in itself a motivation for more "foreigners" to join. The idea of that happening is not comforting for people like me, people who have consciously made the choice of playing the English server, not the "international" (Siwa), or Portuguese, or Spanish, or French. I would like Sanctum to stay English and keep its identity.

Very fair point. However, I am not concerned about what language will be spoken specifically. It's more of the general "identity" of Sanctum. When I first opened up my browser and looked up GF, I chose to play the English server (Sanctum) as that's the language and community I'm oriented to.

Having an international server with a dominant population of Portuguese players that are possibly even more than Sanctum's English players shoved into the server I've chosen primarily because it was advertised as English is quite disappointing and concerning to say the least. The "EN" aspect of Sanctum now seems to be even more at risk of becoming inferior, first after the DE/IT merge, and now with the Siwa merge. I hope that the staff considers this point carefully.

• One question.

How does Sanctum benefit from the Merge?

Dark answered this one pretty well.

Greetings~

Concerning players with the same name on the two servers, will it be like the past merges? (If so, could we get a refresher to how it goes again).

We will be looking into the specifics throughout the next weeks and will provide a solution and more information, when we can. Preferably all in one go.

--

Towards the other questions and concerns:

We are merging a Siwa into Sanctum. If the activity were high, we wouldn't be doing it. I wouldn't worry about a dominant population of any language, because it doesn't exist.

Merges are usually done to keep all the involved servers active. Personally, I've never understood the deal with other languages in any game I've played. Anybody can speak any language unless it is "foul language", right? I believe you benefit more from gaining activity than you may lose from not understanding the chat now and then. However, we don't expect a big impact.

I'd also like to reinorce that I also apply the same values in real life, too. We share a planet and universe. We just lose time filtering in countries and languages. We can benefit much more from one-another if we don't build artificial walls.

That being said. we are merging Siwa with Sanctum for various reasons. It is technically the most logical decision as they are already connected anyway - shared Client, Item Mall, TSE, Alchemy Table and tools.

Cheers
    Mechium

• Language is not my primary concern. It's more of the community identity. I've detailed that in a previous post but it's not being approved for some reason (does every single post have to go through a moderator here? That's a bit tedious). I hope you can read it.

• Is the language thing really a big deal? I see french and german spoken all over the place, even some arabic occastionally. English is a universal language and usually people will gravitate to their mother tongue and the only communication is a universal "gaming" acronym like LFP or WTS.

My personal anecdote is usually someone will message me in another language after posting in trade and ask if I speak whatever language they speak, I respond english only sorry (politely of course), and they switch and try their best to communicate.

I remember back in Bodor/Siropas days people basically mocked BR players. It was honestly kind of a meme.

• I do agree somewhat with the culture thing. Siwa was nice but it was also a mess in terms of chats... while it was still active you could barely use world chat on channel 1 because others wouldn't understand you and talk over you.

There was a 'soft' merge when the SEA GF server went down aswell (because this was hosted by a different company) and we received many Indonesian and Malaysian players. German and Italian players have merged well/stuck to their channel or left when the hard merge between the two servers happened..

Then again with the population we have between the two servers while this concern is valid in where it's coming from, I don't really think it will be a problem.

• you should be happy. Better having an slightly active server (if people decide to come back and play again) than a dead server (yes sanctum is dead), than concerning urself about "identity loss". Opposing to such a little merge is the same as not wanting a global merge (excluding TW server), which is the same as saying id rather just the server shut down.

• Finally there is a merge which was already clear 3 months after the launch. I wrote a lot of suggestions before the launch to Morgoth and he agreed with most of them. Sadly Aeria didnt follow AGAIN the advices of players who play this game longer than every PM. Instead of doing your own thing or listen to Aeria just listen to the players what you should change, patch, do as event or how you should change/improve tables, Tiered Spender and Item Mall. I like to help as long as you dont ask for it and then do exactly NOTHING of the suggestions