Paladin/Tank questions...

Dear visitor, welcome to the Grand Fantasia Forum.

To use all the features of this page, please create an account or login.

• I have another question.:/

But first let me apologize for asking so many in a few days time. I just constantly think of different ideas and this is one place I know I can ask them.

So do tanks still play a role in this game? I don't see many running around and not many people seem to be lfging either. So do tanks play a purpose still? Or is most of the stuff just soloable enough that not many play them still. Or is it more prevalent in later levels? (Currently a level 46 berserker) Also what kind of role does a paladin play in pvp? And is there a "damage" based paladin build or does there skill set fully reject this?

Again thanks in advance for all your answers and sorry again for posting another question. I used to play many years ago and recently got back in the game.

• This question is right down my alley since I main what is considered a 'Tank' class (Templar).

Grand Fantasia still has a use for Paladin branch particularly towards endgame dungeons where having a high defence and damage reduction is important.

Most classes, notably Gearmaster also typically have good access to forms of damage and defence but here is what sets Templar apart and makes them useful:

• Able to heal and DPS decently. Has talents that support both of these.
    • Large AoE damage reduction (reduces damage taken for a group by 24%) quite huge l.
    • Can pull enemies close, and can also jump towards enemies causing them to take more damage (WL does have this second ability but it reduces defence).
    • Thier armor crack reduces both defence and magic defence so your whole party deals more.
    • Large AoE slows! It's no secret that players like Dextera (100 Holy Knight) are able to highly reduce the effectiveness of multiple players at a time by making it hard for them to move.

So a summary of how the class changes:

Tank -> Soloer/Balanced -> Strong Support Class/Tank/Off-Dps.

I have some videos of my Templar soloing the 70~ dungeons people go for fast gold. Would you be interested in seeing them?

• So do tanks still play a role in this game? I don't see many running around and not many people seem to be lfging either. So do tanks play a purpose still? Or is most of the stuff just soloable enough that not many play them still. Or is it more prevalent in later levels? (Currently a level 46 berserker) Also what kind of role does a paladin play in pvp? And is there a "damage" based paladin build or does there skill set fully reject this?

I will try to answer the questions one by one.

Do tanks still play a role in this game? Is most of the stuff just soloable enough?
    That's a very broad question. I will assume you mean in PvE as you are mentioning "lfging".
    My honest opinion: not really. "Tank" role is becoming extinct in PvE. I will speak of 70+ PvE since low-level dungeons are basically irrelevant and players even tend to skip them completely. Since the introduction of purple equipment, every class can handle every dungeon in this game. Some classes do have trouble factors (e.g. SS/Predator's ranged attacks) in dungeons; but overall every class has reasonable potential to solo (including classes branded as "tanks" such as Templar/HK).

"Not many play them still" + what kind of role does a paladin play in pvp?
    I think you are mistaken to consider "most things are soloable enough" as a reason that not many play "tank" classes. As I mentioned before; in the PvE aspect, yes, most relevant dungeons (the ones you'll do for money and/or important rewards) do not require a tank, and generally do not even require a party once you are geared enough (with virtually any class). However, "tank" classes such as HK can be an asset in other areas of the game such as PvP. As Ishan mentioned, Templar/HK in arena can be a strong support class/tank/off-dps; that is why they are still used.

And is there a "damage" based paladin build or does there skill set fully reject this?
    My quick answer: Yes. After 70+, there is a lot of potential to build a damage-based Templar.
    Is it as effective as other physical damage classes (such as WL and GM)? No.
    To put it into perspective: In endgame, I'd say a HK at its maximum full damage mode/build is barely 10% of what a Destroyer can achieve damage-wise.

I hope this helped! ^^

• Yes this helped a lot actually. And I figure that they wouldn't deal the same as other damage classes. I was wondering that mostly for if I decided to make a paladin if I had damage options.

• That's really cool, I would like to see those videos of your Templar.